The Kedarkantha Trek is a popular winter trekking expedition in the Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand, India. Situated at an altitude of approximately 3,800 meters (12,500 feet), the trek takes you through stunning landscapes, dense forests, and picturesque snow-covered trails. Kedarkantha is renowned for its panoramic views of the snow-capped peaks of the Himalayas. Here’s an overview of what you can expect during the Kedarkantha Trek:
- Scenic Beauty: The trek offers breathtaking views of the Himalayan ranges, including famous peaks like Swargarohini, Bandarpoonch, Black Peak, and Ranglana. The trail passes through enchanting forests of pine, oak, and rhododendron trees, which transform into a winter wonderland during the snowy season.
- Winter Wonderland: The Kedarkantha Trek is known for its winter charm. From December to April, the region receives heavy snowfall, creating a magical ambiance. The trail and the surrounding landscapes are covered in pristine white snow, offering a unique and unforgettable experience.
- Summit Experience: Reaching the summit of Kedarkantha is a highlight of the trek. From the top, you can witness a 360-degree panoramic view of the majestic Himalayan peaks, including the Yamunotri and Gangotri ranges. The sunrise and sunset views from the summit are truly awe-inspiring. Reaching the summit of Kedarkantha is a highlight of the trek. From the top, you can witness a 360-degree panoramic view of the majestic Himalayan peaks, including the Yamunotri and Gangotri ranges. The sunrise and sunset views from the summit are truly awe-inspiring.
- Camping Experience: The trek includes camping at beautiful campsites along the trail. Setting up camps amidst the snow-covered landscape is a memorable experience. The clear night skies offer an opportunity for stargazing, and the bonfires add warmth and camaraderie to the camping experience.
- Local Culture and Villages: During the trek, you will pass through several remote villages, offering a glimpse into the local culture and lifestyle of the Garhwali people. Interacting with the villagers and learning about their traditions and customs adds a cultural dimension to the trek.
- Flora and Fauna: The Kedarkantha region is home to diverse flora and fauna. While trekking, you may come across various species of birds, including the colorful Himalayan monal. If you’re lucky, you might spot wildlife like musk deer, barking deer, or even Himalayan black bears.
- Moderate Difficulty Level: The Kedarkantha Trek is considered a moderate-level trek, suitable for beginners as well as experienced trekkers. The trekking distance is around 20 kilometers (12 miles) and can be completed in approximately 4-5 days. However, it is important to be physically fit and mentally prepared for the challenges of trekking at high altitudes in winter conditions.
Kedarkantha Trek Tour Package
|Kedarkantha Trek Tour Package
|04 Nights / 05 days
|Dehradun- Juda ka Talab- Kedarkantha Base Camp- Sankri.
|15,500/- Per Person (Min- 6 Person)
Day 01: Arrival in Dehradun
- Arrival in Dehradun: Arrive at Dehradun, which is the nearest major city to Kedarkantha. You can choose to either fly to Dehradun’s Jolly Grant Airport or take a train to Dehradun, depending on your preferences.
- Transfer to Sankri: From Dehradun, you will be transferred to the village of Sankri, which serves as the base for the Kedarkantha trek. The journey takes approximately 8-9 hours by road, offering scenic views of the Garhwal Himalayas.
- Check-in and Rest: Upon reaching Sankri, check-in to your pre-booked guesthouse or homestay. Rest and acclimatize to the high altitude.
Day 02: Trek to Juda ka Talab
- Trek to Juda ka Talab: After breakfast, begin your trek from Sankri to Juda ka Talab, a beautiful lake nestled amidst lush green meadows. The trek is approximately 4-5 kilometers long and takes about 4-5 hours. Enjoy the picturesque trail, pass through pine forests, and soak in the serene atmosphere. Upon reaching Juda ka Talab, set up camp and spend the night amidst nature.
Day 03:Trek to Kedarkantha Base Camp
- Trek to Kedarkantha Base Camp: After breakfast, continue your trek from Juda ka Talab to Kedarkantha Base Camp. The trek is approximately 6-7 kilometers long and takes around 4-5 hours. As you ascend, witness the stunning vistas of snow-capped peaks, dense forests, and open meadows. Once you reach Kedarkantha Base Camp, set up camp and spend the night amidst the pristine surroundings.
Day 04:Summit Kedarkantha and Descend to Hargaon
- Summit Kedarkantha and Descend to Hargaon: Wake up early in the morning to start the trek to the summit of Kedarkantha. It takes around 3-4 hours to reach the summit, which stands at an altitude of approximately 12,500 feet. From the summit, marvel at the panoramic views of the Himalayas, including prominent peaks like Swargarohini, Bandarpoonch, and Black Peak. After spending some time at the summit, descend to Hargaon, which is approximately 5-6 kilometers away, and spend the night there.
Day 05:Sankri and Departure
- Trek back to Sankri and Departure: After breakfast, trek back from Hargaon to Sankri, retracing your steps through the scenic trail. Upon reaching Sankri, bid farewell to the majestic Kedarkantha and drive back to Dehradun. Once you reach Dehradun, you can catch your return flight or train, concluding your Kedarkantha trek tour package.
Call for Best Deal: +91 9870240354
Call for Best Deal: +91 9870240354
- Pick up and drop from airport/railway/bus station.
- Accommodation on double/twin sharing basis.
- All breakfast included at hotels.
- All transfers and sightseeing by private A/C vehicle.
- Driver’s bata, toll, parking, road tax, fuel charges All applicable taxes.
- Service Tax – 5% GST Extra.
- Any air/bus/rail fare Any other meals not mentioned in package inclusions.
- Any other destination not mentioned in itinerary.
- Any personal expenses such as laundry, room service, mini bar, telephone etc.
- Guide charges/boating charges/entrance fees for any sightseeing
- Any services or activity charges other than those included in inclusions.
- Supplementary cost for festival period, long weekend or peak season .
Where is the Kedarkantha Trek located?
- The Kedarkantha Trek is located in the Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand, India. The trek takes you through the Govind National Park in the Western Garhwal Himalayas.
How difficult is the Kedarkantha Trek?
- The Kedarkantha Trek is considered a moderate trek, suitable for beginners as well as experienced trekkers. The trek involves ascending to an altitude of approximately 3,800 meters (12,500 feet), covering a distance of around 20 kilometers over a span of 4-6 days.
What is the best time to do the Kedarkantha Trek?
- The best time to do the Kedarkantha Trek is from December to April. During this period, the trek offers stunning views of snow-covered landscapes and the chance to experience snowfall. It is important to note that the trek is not recommended during monsoon season (July to September) due to heavy rainfall.
How can I reach the starting point of the Kedarkantha Trek?
- The starting point of the Kedarkantha Trek is Sankri village, which is approximately 200 kilometers from Dehradun. You can reach Dehradun by air or train and then hire a taxi or take a shared cab to Sankri. The drive from Dehradun to Sankri takes around 8-9 hours.
What is the duration of the Kedarkantha Trek?
- The Kedarkantha Trek usually takes 4-6 days to complete, depending on the itinerary and pace of the trekking group. This includes trekking to the summit of Kedarkantha, camping at different locations, and returning to Sankri village.
What are the highlights of the Kedarkantha Trek?
- The Kedarkantha Trek offers several highlights, including panoramic views of snow-clad peaks such as Swargarohini, Bandarpoonch, and Black Peak. The trek also takes you through dense forests, beautiful meadows, and remote villages, providing a rich cultural and natural experience.
Is it necessary to hire a guide for the Kedarkantha Trek?
- It is highly recommended to hire a local guide or join a trekking group with experienced guides for the Kedarkantha Trek. They are familiar with the trail, can ensure your safety, and provide valuable insights about the region.
What kind of accommodation is available during the trek?
- During the Kedarkantha Trek, you will stay in tents at designated camping sites. The trek organizers will provide all the necessary camping equipment, including sleeping bags and mattresses. It is advisable to carry a warm sleeping bag for added comfort.
What should I pack for the Kedarkantha Trek?
- Some essential items to pack for the Kedarkantha Trek include sturdy trekking shoes, warm clothing (including thermals, fleece jackets, and waterproof outer layers), trekking poles, sunglasses, sunscreen, a hat, a water bottle, and basic medical supplies.
Are there any age restrictions for the Kedarkantha Trek?
- There are no specific age restrictions for the Kedarkantha Trek. However, it is a moderately challenging trek that involves trekking at high altitudes, so participants should be physically fit and capable of enduring long walks and steep ascents. It is advisable to consult with a doctor before undertaking the trek, especially for individuals with any pre-existing medical conditions.