The Gaumukh Tapovan Trek is a breathtaking adventure that takes you to the source of the holy River Ganges, known as Gaumukh, and the high-altitude meadows of Tapovan. This trek is located in Uttarakhand, India, and offers a unique blend of natural beauty, spiritual significance, and challenging terrain. Here is an overview of what you can expect on the Gaumukh Tapovan Trek:
Duration: The trek usually takes around 6-8 days to complete, depending on the itinerary and the pace of the trekking group.
Difficulty Level: The Gaumukh Tapovan Trek is considered a moderately difficult trek. It involves steep ascents, rocky terrain, and high altitude, requiring a good level of physical fitness and prior trekking experience.
Altitude: The trek begins at Gangotri, located at an altitude of approximately 3,100 meters (10,200 feet). The highest point of the trek is Tapovan, situated at an elevation of around 4,463 meters (14,640 feet).
Highlights of the Trek:
- Gangotri: The trek starts from the sacred town of Gangotri, known as the origin of the River Ganges. Take some time to visit the Gangotri Temple and seek blessings before commencing the trek.
- Gaumukh: Trek along the Bhagirathi River to reach Gaumukh, which translates to “Cow’s Mouth.” It is the snout of the Gangotri Glacier and the source of the Ganges. Witness the magnificent sight of the glacier and the powerful flow of the river emerging from it.
- Gangotri: Ascend further from Gaumukh to reach Tapovan, a stunning high-altitude meadow surrounded by towering peaks. Tapovan offers panoramic views of prominent Himalayan peaks like Shivling, Meru, and Bhagirathi sisters. It is also considered a spiritual site for meditation and is believed to be the abode of Lord Shiva.
- Challenging Terrain: The trek involves traversing through moraines, boulder fields, and steep ascents. The terrain can be rugged and challenging, requiring careful navigation and stamina. However, the awe-inspiring beauty of the surroundings makes the effort worthwhile.
- Flora and Fauna: Along the trek, you will encounter a diverse range of flora and fauna. Keep an eye out for Himalayan blue sheep, Bharal, and various bird species. The trail is also adorned with alpine flowers, adding color and vibrancy to the landscape.
- Cultural Immersion: Interact with the local communities en route, predominantly the Bhotiya and Garhwali people, and get a glimpse into their way of life. Experience their warm hospitality and learn about their traditions and customs.
Gaumukh Tapovan Trek Tour Package
|Gaumukh Tapovan Trek Tour Package
|06 Nights / 07 days
|Dehradun- Gangotri- Bhojbasa- Gaumukh .
|25,500/- Per Person (Min- 6 Person)
Day 01: Arrival in Dehradun
- Arrival in Dehradun: Arrive at Dehradun, which is the nearest major city to Gangotri. You can choose to either fly to Dehradun’s Jolly Grant Airport or take a train to Dehradun, depending on your preferences.
- Transfer to Gangotri: From Dehradun, you will be transferred to Gangotri, the starting point of the Gaumukh Tapovan Trek. The journey takes approximately 8-9 hours by road, offering scenic views of the mountains and valleys.
- Check-in and Rest: Upon reaching Gangotri, check-in to your pre-booked hotel or guesthouse. Rest and relax after your journey.
Day 02: Trek from Gangotri to Chirbasa
- Trek from Gangotri to Chirbasa: Start your trek from Gangotri to Chirbasa, which is the first campsite on the trail. The trek is about 9 kilometers long and takes approximately 4-5 hours. Enjoy the beautiful views of the Bhagirathi River and the surrounding mountains along the way. Set up camp at Chirbasa and spend the night amidst nature.
Day 03:Trek from Chirbasa to Bhojbasa
- Trek from Chirbasa to Bhojbasa: Continue your trek from Chirbasa to Bhojbasa. The trek is approximately 5 kilometers long and takes around 3-4 hours. As you ascend higher, you’ll notice the landscape changing, with fewer trees and more rocky terrain. Bhojbasa is located near the Bhagirathi River and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding peaks. Set up camp and spend the night at Bhojbasa.
Day 04:Trek from Bhojbasa to Gaumukh and Tapovan
- Trek from Bhojbasa to Gaumukh and Tapovan: On this day, trek from Bhojbasa to Gaumukh, which is the source of the River Ganges and one of the most sacred sites for Hindus. From Gaumukh, continue trekking to Tapovan, which is a stunning meadow surrounded by snow-capped peaks. The total trek distance is around 9 kilometers and takes approximately 6-7 hours. Enjoy the magnificent views of the Gangotri Glacier and the surrounding Himalayan ranges. Set up camp at Tapovan and spend the night in this serene location.
Day 05:Explore Tapovan and Return to Bhojbasa
- Explore Tapovan and Return to Bhojbasa: Spend the day exploring the beauty of Tapovan. You can go on short hikes, meditate, or simply soak in the peaceful ambiance of the place. Take in the panoramic views of peaks like Shivling, Meru, and Bhagirathi from this vantage point. In the afternoon, trek back to Bhojbasa. Overnight stay at Bhojbasa.
- Trek back to Gangotri and Return to Dehradun: Descend from Bhojbasa to Gangotri, completing your trek. Once you reach Gangotri, you’ll be transferred back to Dehradun. The journey takes around 8-9 hours. Overnight stay in Dehradun.
Day 07:Return to Dehradun
- Departure: After breakfast, bid farewell to Dehradun and proceed to the airport or railway station for your onward journey, concluding your Gaumukh Tapovan Trek tour package.
Call for Best Deal: +91 9870240354
Call for Best Deal: +91 9870240354
- Pick up and drop from airport/railway/bus station.
- Accommodation on double/twin sharing basis.
- All breakfast included at hotels.
- All transfers and sightseeing by private A/C vehicle.
- Driver’s bata, toll, parking, road tax, fuel charges All applicable taxes.
- Service Tax – 5% GST Extra.
- Any air/bus/rail fare Any other meals not mentioned in package inclusions.
- Any other destination not mentioned in itinerary.
- Any personal expenses such as laundry, room service, mini bar, telephone etc.
- Guide charges/boating charges/entrance fees for any sightseeing
- Any services or activity charges other than those included in inclusions.
- Supplementary cost for festival period, long weekend or peak season .
What is the best time to undertake the Gaumukh Tapovan Trek?
- The best time for the Gaumukh Tapovan Trek is usually from May to June and September to October. These months offer favorable weather conditions and clear views of the mountains. However, it is advisable to check the weather forecast and consult with local trek organizers for the most up-to-date information.
How difficult is the Gaumukh Tapovan Trek?
- The Gaumukh Tapovan Trek is considered a moderately difficult trek. It involves long hours of walking each day, ascending to higher altitudes, and traversing uneven terrains. Prior trekking experience and a good level of fitness are recommended. It is advisable to engage an experienced trekking guide or join a trekking group for safety and assistance.
What is the maximum altitude reached during the Gaumukh Tapovan Trek?
- The maximum altitude reached during the Gaumukh Tapovan Trek is approximately 4,463 meters (14,640 feet) at Tapovan. Proper acclimatization and gradual ascent are essential to avoid altitude-related illnesses. It is important to listen to your body, stay hydrated, and follow the advice of your trek guide.
What kind of accommodation is available during the trek?
- Accommodation during the Gaumukh Tapovan Trek is usually in tents at designated camping sites. The tents are basic but comfortable and provide protection from the elements. It is advisable to carry a sleeping bag for added warmth and comfort. In Gangotri, before and after the trek, there are guesthouses and hotels available for accommodation.
Are there any age restrictions for the trek?
- While there are no specific age restrictions, the Gaumukh Tapovan Trek requires a good level of physical fitness and stamina. It is generally recommended for individuals above 18 years of age. However, younger participants may undertake the trek under the supervision of experienced adults and with the consent of their parents or guardians.
Are there any permits required for the Gaumukh Tapovan Trek?
- Yes, trekkers are required to obtain necessary permits before undertaking the Gaumukh Tapovan Trek. The permits can be obtained from the Forest Department or the Gangotri National Park authorities. It is advisable to check the latest regulations and procedures for obtaining permits from the local authorities or through a trekking agency.