Tiruvannamalai is a city located in the state of Tamil Nadu in southern India. It is situated at the foothills of the Annamalaiyar Temple, one of the largest Hindu temples dedicated to Lord Shiva. The city is named after the temple and is considered a major pilgrimage site for devotees of Lord Shiva.
The Annamalaiyar Temple is the centerpiece of Tiruvannamalai and attracts thousands of devotees and tourists every year. The temple is renowned for its architectural beauty and spiritual significance. It is believed to be one of the Pancha Bhoota Stalas, representing the element of fire.
Tiruvannamalai is also known for the Arunachala Hill, a sacred hill located near the temple. The hill is considered to be an embodiment of Lord Shiva and is revered by devotees. It is a popular site for meditation and attracts spiritual seekers from all over the world.
In addition to its religious and spiritual significance, Tiruvannamalai is known for its festivals. The most important festival celebrated here is the Karthigai Deepam, also known as the Festival of Lights, which takes place in the Tamil month of Karthigai (November/December). During this festival, a massive fire lamp is lit on top of the Arunachala Hill, illuminating the entire town.
The town of Tiruvannamalai itself has a vibrant atmosphere with narrow streets lined with shops selling religious items, clothing, and handicrafts. It also has several ashrams and meditation centers where spiritual practices and teachings are conducted.
Overall, Tiruvannamalai is a significant spiritual destination in India, attracting both devotees and seekers of inner peace and enlightenment. Its rich religious heritage, serene environment, and cultural festivities make it a popular place for spiritual tourism.
Tiruvannamalai Tour Package
|Tiruvannamalai Tour Package
|04Nights / 05days
|Tiruvannamalai- Skandashramam- Gingee Fort- Ramana Maharshi Ashram.
|15,500/- Per Person (Min- 6 Person)
Day 01: Arrival in Tiruvannamalai
- Arrival in Tiruvannamalai: Arrive at Tiruvannamalai by your preferred mode of transportation, such as a flight or a train. Check-in at your hotel or resort and take some time to relax and freshen up.
- Arunachaleswarar Temple: Start your tour by visiting the Arunachaleswarar Temple, one of the largest temples in India dedicated to Lord Shiva. Explore the temple complex, witness the grand architecture, and participate in the evening aarti (religious ceremony).
- Girivalam (Pradakshina): Experience the spiritual practice of Girivalam, which involves circumambulating the sacred Arunachala Hill. Embark on a walk around the hill, covering a distance of approximately 14 kilometers, and soak in the divine atmosphere.
Day 02:Skandashramam Sightseeing
- Skandashramam: Start your day by visiting Skandashramam, a small cave on the Arunachala Hill where the great sage Ramana Maharshi resided. Experience the peaceful ambiance and spend some time in meditation or self-reflection.
- Virupaksha Cave: Proceed to Virupaksha Cave, another significant cave associated with Ramana Maharshi. Visit the cave and contemplate in the serene surroundings where the sage spent many years in solitude.
- Sri Ramanasramam: Visit Sri Ramanasramam, the ashram dedicated to Ramana Maharshi. Explore the ashram, attend spiritual discourses, and participate in meditation sessions if available.
- Seshadri Swamigal Ashram: Pay a visit to the Seshadri Swamigal Ashram, dedicated to the saint Seshadri Swamigal. Learn about his life and teachings, and experience the peaceful ambiance of the ashram.
Day 03: Gingee Fort
- Gingee Fort: Embark on a day trip to Gingee Fort, located approximately 40 kilometers from Tiruvannamalai. Explore this majestic fort known for its architectural marvels and historical significance. Visit the Rajagiri Fort, Krishnagiri Fort, and Venkataramana Temple within the fort complex.
- Annamalaiyar Temple Car Festival (if timing aligns): If your visit coincides with the grand Car Festival (Ther Thiruvizha) at the Arunachaleswarar Temple, witness this colorful and vibrant procession. Experience the fervor and devotion as the temple deity is taken on a chariot around the temple streets.
Day 04: Ramana Maharshi Ashram
- Ramana Maharshi Ashram: Dedicate the day to further exploration of the Ramana Maharshi Ashram. Attend satsangs (spiritual gatherings), explore the library, and immerse yourself in the teachings and practices associated with the renowned sage.
- Shopping: In the evening, explore the local markets in Tiruvannamalai and shop for traditional handicrafts, fabrics, and souvenirs.
- Leisure Time: Enjoy some leisure time to relax, reflect, or engage in optional activities such as yoga, meditation, or spa treatments.
Day 05: Departure
- Departure: Check-out from your hotel and depart from Tiruvannamalai. Bid farewell to the spiritual town with cherished memories of your trip.
Call for Best Deal: +91 9870240354
Call for Best Deal: +91 9870240354
- Pick up and drop from airport/railway/bus station.
- Accommodation on double/twin sharing basis.
- All breakfast included at hotels.
- All transfers and sightseeing by private A/C vehicle.
- Driver’s bata, toll, parking, road tax, fuel charges All applicable taxes.
- Service Tax – 5% GST Extra.
- Any air/bus/rail fare Any other meals not mentioned in package inclusions.
- Any other destination not mentioned in itinerary.
- Any personal expenses such as laundry, room service, mini bar, telephone etc.
- Guide charges/boating charges/entrance fees for any sightseeing
- Any services or activity charges other than those included in inclusions.
- Supplementary cost for festival period, long weekend or peak season .
What are the popular attractions included in Tiruvannamalai tour packages?
The popular attractions included in Tiruvannamalai tour packages usually revolve around the Annamalaiyar Temple and the Arunachala Hill. These include visits to the temple complex, circumambulation (Girivalam) around the hill, exploring ashrams and meditation centers, and participating in spiritual activities.
What is the best time to visit Tiruvannamalai?
The best time to visit Tiruvannamalai is during the winter months, from November to February, when the weather is pleasant and suitable for outdoor activities. Avoiding the summer months is recommended due to the high temperatures in the region.
How can I reach Tiruvannamalai?
Tiruvannamalai is well-connected by road and rail. The nearest airport is Chennai International Airport, which is approximately 180 kilometers away. From Chennai, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to reach Tiruvannamalai. The city is also connected by train, and regular bus services are available from nearby cities.
How long does a typical Tiruvannamalai tour package last?
The duration of a Tiruvannamalai tour package can vary depending on your preferences and the activities included. A typical package can range from 2 to 5 days, allowing ample time to explore the temple, participate in rituals, visit ashrams, and experience the spiritual atmosphere of the place.
Can I customize my Tiruvannamalai tour package?
Yes, many tour operators offer customized Tiruvannamalai tour packages based on your specific requirements. You can tailor the package to include additional destinations, activities, or accommodations according to your preferences.
Are there any specific dress codes or guidelines for visiting the temples in Tiruvannamalai?
Yes, when visiting temples in Tiruvannamalai, it is advisable to dress modestly and respectfully. Both men and women are expected to cover their shoulders and legs. It is also customary to remove footwear before entering temple premises.
Are vegetarian food options readily available in Tiruvannamalai?
Yes, Tiruvannamalai offers a variety of vegetarian food options. Many restaurants and eateries in the city serve traditional South Indian cuisine, including dosas, idlis, and rice-based dishes. Some restaurants within ashrams also provide simple, vegetarian meals.