The Brihadeshwara Temple, also known as the Peruvudaiyar Kovil or Rajarajeswaram Temple, is a magnificent Hindu temple located in Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, India. Built during the Chola dynasty in the 11th century, it is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is an exceptional example of Dravidian architecture. The temple is renowned for its grandeur, architectural marvels, and the tallest temple tower (Vimana) in South India.
Here’s an overview of the Brihadeshwara Temple tour:
History and Significance:
The Brihadeshwara Temple was constructed by Emperor Rajaraja Chola I, who ruled the Chola dynasty. It was built to demonstrate the might and power of the Cholas and to showcase their devotion to Lord Shiva.
Architecture and Design:
The temple is a masterpiece of Dravidian architecture, characterized by its intricate carvings, towering structures, and elaborate sculptures. The main temple complex consists of a towering Vimana (shrine tower) that rises to a height of around 66 meters (216 feet). The Vimana is topped with a massive monolithic stone known as the Kalasha. The temple also has a spacious mandapam (hall) known as the Maha Mandapam, adorned with ornate pillars and beautiful sculptures.
Inner Sanctum and Deity:
The sanctum sanctorum of the Brihadeshwara Temple houses a massive Shiva Lingam, the representation of Lord Shiva. The Lingam is one of the largest in South India and is revered by devotees. The inner walls of the sanctum are adorned with murals and inscriptions depicting various mythological stories and scenes.
In front of the main temple complex, there is a monolithic Nandi (bull) statue. It is considered one of the largest Nandi statues in India, measuring about 6 meters (20 feet) in height and 8 meters (26 feet) in length. The statue is carved out of a single stone and is intricately detailed.
Frescoes and Sculptures:
The Brihadeshwara Temple is adorned with exquisite frescoes and sculptures. The walls of the temple depict intricate carvings of gods, goddesses, celestial beings, and mythological scenes. The frescoes showcase vibrant colors and intricate details, although many of them have faded over time.
The temple hosts various festivals throughout the year, attracting devotees and tourists. The Maha Shivaratri festival is one of the most important celebrations at the temple. During this time, the temple is adorned with lights, and special rituals and processions take place.
Museum and Cultural Significance:
The temple complex houses a museum that displays a collection of artifacts, sculptures, inscriptions, and historical relics from the Chola dynasty. The museum provides insights into the rich cultural heritage and artistic accomplishments of the Cholas.
A visit to the Brihadeshwara Temple offers a mesmerizing journey into the world of ancient Indian architecture, craftsmanship, and religious devotion. The temple’s grandeur, intricate carvings, and spiritual ambiance make it a must-visit destination for history buffs, art lovers, and those seeking a profound spiritual experience.
Brihadeshwara Temple Tour Package
|Brihadeshwara Temple Tour Package
|05 Nights / 06 Days
|Thanjavur- Brihadeshwara- Gangaikonda Cholapuram.
|12,500/- Per Person (Min- 6 Person)
Day 01: Thanjavur
- Arrival in Thanjavur: Arrive at Thanjavur by train, bus, or flight. Check into your hotel and take some rest.
- Orientation: Familiarize yourself with the city of Thanjavur and its rich cultural heritage. Visit the Thanjavur Royal Palace and Art Gallery to learn about the history and art of the region.
Day 02:Brihadeshwara Sightseeing
- Brihadeshwara Temple Visit: Begin your day with a visit to the Brihadeshwara Temple. Marvel at the towering gopuram (gateway tower) and the grand architecture of the temple. Admire the intricate carvings, sculptures, and the massive lingam (Shiva’s representation) inside the sanctum. Take your time to explore the temple complex and appreciate its historical and architectural significance.
- Thanjavur Royal Palace: After visiting the temple, explore the Thanjavur Royal Palace, located adjacent to the temple. Discover the various sections of the palace, including the art gallery, Saraswathi Mahal Library, and the Durbar Hall. Admire the royal artifacts, ancient manuscripts, and the beautiful murals on display.
Day 03: Gangaikonda Cholapuram Excursion
- Gangaikonda Cholapuram: Take a day trip to Gangaikonda Cholapuram, located approximately 70 kilometers from Thanjavur. Explore the Gangaikonda Cholapuram Temple, built by the Chola dynasty. Admire the exquisite architecture and intricate carvings of this temple, which is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Learn about the historical significance of the site and the Chola dynasty.
Day 04: Schwartz Church
- Schwartz Church: Visit the Schwartz Church, also known as the New Jerusalem Church. It is a beautiful church built in the 18th century and is named after Reverend Christian Friedrich Schwartz, a German missionary. Admire the unique architecture and serene ambiance of the church.
- Saraswathi Mahal Library: Explore the renowned Saraswathi Mahal Library, one of the oldest libraries in Asia. It houses a vast collection of ancient manuscripts, palm leaf manuscripts, and rare books. Spend some time delving into the rich literary heritage of the region.
Day 05: Thanjavur
- Art and Craft Shopping: Spend the day exploring the local markets and shops in Thanjavur, known for their exquisite art and craft. Shop for Thanjavur paintings, bronze sculptures, Tanjore dolls, and other traditional handicrafts. Immerse yourself in the rich artistic traditions of the region.
Day 06: Departure
- Departure: Check out from the hotel and proceed to your onward journey with beautiful memories of your Brihadeshwara Temple tour in Thanjavur.
Call for Best Deal: +91 9870240354
Call for Best Deal: +91 9870240354
- Pick up and drop from airport/railway/bus station.
- Accommodation on double/twin sharing basis.
- All breakfast included at hotels.
- All transfers and sightseeing by private A/C vehicle.
- Driver’s bata, toll, parking, road tax, fuel charges All applicable taxes.
- Service Tax – 5% GST Extra.
- Any air/bus/rail fare Any other meals not mentioned in package inclusions.
- Any other destination not mentioned in itinerary.
- Any personal expenses such as laundry, room service, mini bar, telephone etc.
- Guide charges/boating charges/entrance fees for any sightseeing
- Any services or activity charges other than those included in inclusions.
- Supplementary cost for festival period, long weekend or peak season .
Q: Where is Brihadeshwara Temple located?
A: Brihadeshwara Temple, also known as the Peruvudaiyar Kovil or the Big Temple, is located in Thanjavur (Tanjore), Tamil Nadu, India. It is situated in the southern part of the state.
Q: What is included in a typical Brihadeshwara Temple tour package?
A: The specific inclusions of a Brihadeshwara Temple tour package can vary depending on the tour operator and the package you choose. However, a typical package may include transportation to and from Thanjavur, accommodation, sightseeing to Brihadeshwara Temple and other nearby attractions, the services of a tour guide, and meals.
Q: How long does a Brihadeshwara Temple tour package usually last?
A: The duration of a Brihadeshwara Temple tour package can vary depending on the package and your preferences. It can range from a one-day tour to multiple days, allowing you to explore other temples and historical sites in Thanjavur.
Q: Is there any dress code to enter Brihadeshwara Temple?
A: While there is no strict dress code, it is advisable to dress modestly and respectfully while visiting Brihadeshwara Temple. It is recommended to wear clothes that cover your shoulders and knees. As a mark of respect, many visitors also choose to remove their footwear before entering the temple premises.
Q: Are there any photography restrictions inside Brihadeshwara Temple?
A: Photography is generally allowed inside Brihadeshwara Temple. However, there may be restrictions on using flash photography or tripods. It is important to be respectful and considerate while taking photographs, especially in sacred areas. It is recommended to follow the guidelines provided by the temple authorities.
Q: Can I visit other attractions in Thanjavur as part of the tour package?
A: Yes, many tour packages include visits to other attractions in Thanjavur, such as the Thanjavur Palace, Saraswathi Mahal Library, and the Sangeetha Mahal. These attractions offer a deeper exploration of the region’s cultural heritage and historical significance.
Q: Can I customize a Brihadeshwara Temple tour package?
A: Some tour operators offer the flexibility to customize Brihadeshwara Temple tour packages according to your preferences. You may be able to adjust the duration, include additional attractions or activities, or make specific arrangements based on your interests. It is advisable to inquire with the tour operator about customization options.
Q: Can I book a Brihadeshwara Temple tour package online?
A: Yes, many tour operators provide the option to book Brihadeshwara Temple tour packages online. You can visit their websites, select the desired package, and follow the booking process. It is recommended to choose reputable tour operators and review their cancellation and refund policies.