Dawki is a small town located in the West Jaintia Hills district of Meghalaya, India. It is known for its crystal clear river, the Umngot River, which is a popular destination for water activities such as boating and kayaking. A tour package to Dawki typically includes transportation, accommodation, guided tours, and activities such as water sports and sightseeing.
The tour usually starts with a journey from Shillong, the capital city of Meghalaya, to Dawki, which is about 80 kilometers away. Upon arrival, visitors can explore the town and its surroundings. The main attraction in Dawki is the Umngot River, which is known for its crystal clear waters that allow visitors to see the riverbed and the fish swimming beneath the surface.
Visitors can take a boat ride or a kayak trip on the river to explore the surrounding landscapes and experience the stunning beauty of the river. The river is surrounded by lush green forests, rocky cliffs, and small waterfalls, making it a popular destination for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts.
Apart from water sports, visitors can also explore the local villages and interact with the friendly locals to learn about their way of life, culture, and traditions. Some tour packages may also include visits to nearby attractions such as the Dawki Bridge, which is a suspension bridge that connects India with Bangladesh.
Tour packages to Dawki typically include accommodation in a guest house or hotel in the town. Visitors can also opt for camping by the river for a more immersive experience. Activities such as boating, kayaking, and sightseeing are usually included in the tour package.
The cost of the tour package to Dawki may vary depending on the duration of the tour, the type of accommodation selected, and the number of activities included in the package. It’s important to choose a reputable tour operator with positive reviews and to read the fine print carefully to understand what is included in the package and any additional costs that may apply.
Dawki Tour Package
|Dawki Tour Package
|03 Night / 04 Days
|Guwahati – Dawki.
|8,500 /- Per Person (Min- 6 person applicable)
Day 01: Arrival in Guwahati and transfer to Dawki
- Arrive at Guwahati airport or railway station
- Meet your tour representative and transfer to Dawki (approximately 3 hours)
- Check-in at your hotel and relax
- In the evening, take a leisurely walk around the town
Day 02: Exploring Dawki
- After breakfast, visit the Dawki River and take a boat ride on the crystal-clear waters of the Umngot River
- Next, visit the nearby village of Shnongpdeng and try your hand at river rafting
- In the afternoon, visit the nearby village of Mawlynnong and explore its famous living root bridges and other natural attractions
- Return to your hotel in Dawki for dinner and overnight stay
Day 03: More sightseeing in Dawki
- After breakfast, visit the Dawki Suspension Bridge, which offers stunning views of the river and the surrounding landscape
- Next, visit the nearby village of Tamabil and explore the scenic Indo-Bangladesh border
- In the afternoon, visit the Jaintia Hills and explore the natural caves and waterfalls
- Return to your hotel in Dawki for dinner and overnight stay
Day 04: Departure from Dawki
- After breakfast, check out from your hotel and transfer to Guwahati
- Drop-off at the airport or railway station for your onward journey
Call for Best Deal: +91 9870240354
Call for Best Deal: +91 9870240354
- Pick up and drop from airport/railway/bus station.
- Accommodation on double/twin sharing basis.
- All breakfast included at hotels.
- All transfers and sightseeing by private A/C vehicle.
- Driver’s bata, toll, parking, road tax, fuel charges All applicable taxes.
- Service Tax – 5% GST Extra.
- Any air/bus/rail fare Any other meals not mentioned in package inclusions.
- Any other destination not mentioned in itinerary.
- Any personal expenses such as laundry, room service, mini bar, telephone etc.
- Guide charges/boating charges/entrance fees for any sightseeing
- Any services or activity charges other than those included in inclusions.
- Supplementary cost for festival period, long weekend or peak season .
Q1: Where is Dawki located?
Dawki is a small town located in the West Jaintia Hills district of Meghalaya, India. It is situated on the border between India and Bangladesh and is famous for its crystal-clear Umngot River and stunning natural beauty.
Q2: How can I reach Dawki?
To reach Dawki, you can fly to Guwahati Airport in Assam, which is the nearest major airport. From Guwahati, you can hire a taxi or take a shared cab to reach Dawki, which is approximately 200 kilometers away. The journey takes around 4-5 hours, depending on the road conditions. Alternatively, you can also take a bus from Guwahati to Dawki. It’s advisable to check the bus schedules and plan your journey accordingly.
Q3: What is the best time to visit Dawki?
The best time to visit Dawki is during the winter months from November to February when the weather is pleasant and the river water is exceptionally clear. During this time, you can enjoy boating and witness the magical sight of the sunlight reflecting off the river, creating a mirror-like effect. However, Dawki can be visited throughout the year, except during the monsoon season when heavy rains can lead to a rise in water levels and limit boating activities.
Q4: What are the attractions in Dawki?
Dawki is primarily known for its mesmerizing Umngot River. Some of the main attractions in Dawki include:
- Umngot River: The crystal-clear waters of the Umngot River attract tourists from all over the world. You can take a boat ride on the river and witness the stunning underwater visibility. The river is also known for its picturesque surroundings and lush greenery.
- Dawki Bridge: The Dawki Bridge, also known as the Dawki Bridge of Love, is a suspension bridge that offers panoramic views of the Umngot River and the surrounding landscapes. It is a popular spot for photography and enjoying the scenic beauty.
- Mawlynnong Village: Located near Dawki, Mawlynnong is known as the cleanest village in Asia. It offers a glimpse into the Khasi tribal culture and features beautifully maintained gardens and living root bridges.
These attractions make Dawki a must-visit destination for nature lovers and photography enthusiasts.
Q5: Can I go boating in the Umngot River?
Yes, you can go boating in the Umngot River in Dawki. Boating is one of the main attractions in Dawki, and you can hire a boat to explore the pristine river waters. The boats used are usually small wooden boats with transparent bottoms, allowing you to see the riverbed and the colorful stones beneath the water. It’s a unique experience to witness the clear waters and the breathtaking beauty of the surroundings while boating in the Umngot River.
Q6: Are there any accommodation options in Dawki?
Dawki offers limited accommodation options, mainly consisting of guesthouses and homestays. These accommodations provide basic facilities and a comfortable stay for tourists. However, if you prefer more amenities and a wider range of choices, it’s recommended to stay in Shillong, which is the nearest major city. Shillong offers a variety of hotels, resorts, and guesthouses catering to different budgets and preferences. You can plan a day trip from Shillong to Dawki and return to your accommodation in the city.
Q7: Are there any local food options available in Dawki?
Yes, Dawki offers local food options for tourists to savor the flavors of the region. You can find small eateries and food stalls serving traditional Khasi cuisine and local delicacies. Some popular dishes to try include Jadoh (rice and meat dish), Tungrymbai (fermented soybean curry), and Pukhlein (rice pancake). Additionally, you can also find basic snacks and beverages to refresh yourself during your visit to Dawki.
Q8: Is it safe to swim in the Umngot River?
Swimming in the Umngot River is generally considered safe, especially in the shallow areas. However, it’s essential to exercise caution and follow safety guidelines while swimming. Pay attention to the depth of the water, as some areas can have sudden drop-offs. It’s recommended to swim only in designated areas where the water is relatively calm and avoid venturing into deeper sections or strong currents. If you are not a strong swimmer, it’s advisable to wear a life jacket or seek assistance from local boat operators who can provide guidance and ensure your safety.
Q9: Can I visit Dawki with children?
Yes, Dawki can be visited with children. The boat ride on the Umngot River and the scenic beauty of the surroundings are enjoyable for people of all ages. However, it’s important to keep a close watch on children, especially near the water. Children should be supervised during the boat ride, and it’s advisable to follow safety instructions provided by the boat operators. Additionally, it’s recommended to carry necessary supplies such as snacks, water, and extra clothing for children during the visit to Dawki.
Q10: Are there any photography restrictions in Dawki?
There are no specific photography restrictions in Dawki. Visitors are generally allowed to take photographs and capture the scenic beauty of the Umngot River and its surroundings. However, it’s advisable to respect the privacy of local residents and seek permission before taking close-up pictures of individuals or their properties. Additionally, if you plan to use drones for aerial photography, it’s essential to comply with local regulations and obtain necessary permissions from the authorities.