The Virupaksha Temple is a renowned ancient Hindu temple located in Hampi, Karnataka, India. It is considered one of the most important and significant temples in the region and holds immense historical and religious importance. A tour of the Virupaksha Temple offers a fascinating glimpse into the rich cultural heritage of Hampi.
Here is an overview of what you can expect on a Virupaksha Temple tour:
Architecture and Design: The Virupaksha Temple showcases exemplary Vijayanagara architecture, reflecting the grandeur and magnificence of the Vijayanagara Empire that ruled the region in the 14th to 17th centuries. The temple complex is adorned with intricate carvings, sculptures, and towering gopurams (ornate gateways). The main sanctum is dedicated to Lord Virupaksha, a form of Lord Shiva, and features a tall shikhara (spire) that dominates the temple’s skyline.
Historical Significance: The temple has a rich history that dates back to the 7th century. It has withstood the test of time and witnessed the rise and fall of various dynasties. The temple was expanded and embellished by successive rulers, especially during the Vijayanagara period, when it reached its zenith. Exploring the temple’s premises allows visitors to unravel layers of history and understand the temple’s significance as a religious and cultural center.
Festivals and Rituals: The Virupaksha Temple is a hub of religious activities and hosts several festivals throughout the year. The most prominent festival celebrated here is the Hampi Utsav (also known as the Virupaksha Festival), held in November. During this grand celebration, the temple comes alive with processions, music, dance performances, and various cultural events. Witnessing the festivities provides an immersive experience into the vibrant traditions and rituals of the region.
Monuments and Attractions: The temple complex is not limited to just the main shrine. It also houses several smaller shrines, mandapas (pillared halls), and courtyards. One of the notable attractions within the temple premises is the massive Bazaar Street, which used to be a bustling marketplace during the Vijayanagara era. The street is flanked by ornate pillars and ancient structures, offering a glimpse into the commercial and social aspects of the bygone era.
Hampi’s Surroundings: The Virupaksha Temple is located in the heart of Hampi, Exploring the surrounding areas allows visitors to witness other magnificent temples, royal structures, and remnants of the once-thriving Vijayanagara Empire. Hampi is also blessed with breathtaking natural landscapes, including the Tungabhadra River, hills, and boulder-strewn terrain.
A tour of the Virupaksha Temple provides a captivating journey through history, art, and spirituality. It allows visitors to appreciate the architectural marvels of the Vijayanagara Empire and immerse themselves in the cultural heritage of the region. It is advisable to wear appropriate attire and follow any temple guidelines or customs while visiting the sacred site.
Note: Due to the current pandemic situation or any unforeseen circumstances, it is recommended to check the temple’s timings, any specific guidelines or restrictions, and the overall accessibility of Hampi before planning your visit.
Virupaksha Temple Tour Package
|Virupaksha Temple Tour Package
|03Nights / 04days
|Hampi- Virupaksha Temple- Achyutaraya Temple .
|12,500/- Per Person (Min- 6 Person)
Day 01: Hampi
- Arrival in Hampi: Arrive at Hampi by train, bus, or car. Check into your hotel or accommodation and take some rest.
- Orientation: Get acquainted with the Hampi area and its historical significance. Learn about the rich history, culture, and architectural wonders of the Vijayanagara Empire.
Day 02:Virupaksha Temple Sightseeing
- Virupaksha Temple Visit: Begin your day with a visit to the Virupaksha Temple. Marvel at the grand entrance gopuram (tower) and the architectural beauty of the temple complex. Explore the various halls, corridors, and sanctums of the temple. Witness the daily rituals and immerse yourself in the spiritual ambiance. Don’t forget to visit the main sanctum dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Hemakuta Hill: After visiting the temple, hike up Hemakuta Hill, located nearby. Enjoy panoramic views of the temple complex, Hampi, and the surrounding landscapes. Discover the various small temples and structures scattered across the hill.
Day 03: Vijaya Vittala Excursion
- Riverside Ruins: Take a leisurely walk along the Tungabhadra River and explore the riverside ruins of Hampi. Visit landmarks such as the Queen’s Bath, Elephant Stables, and Lotus Mahal. Admire the architectural beauty and learn about their historical significance.
- Vijaya Vittala Temple: Visit the famous Vijaya Vittala Temple, dedicated to Lord Vishnu. Marvel at the iconic stone chariot, intricate carvings, and the musical pillars that produce melodic sounds. Explore the temple complex and admire its stunning architecture.
Day 04: Achyutaraya Temple
- Achyutaraya Temple: Explore the Achyutaraya Temple, dedicated to Lord Venkateshwara. Admire the grandeur of the temple complex and the intricate carvings depicting scenes from Hindu mythology.
- Sasivekalu Ganesha and Kadalekalu Ganesha: Visit the Sasivekalu Ganesha and Kadalekalu Ganesha, two massive monolithic statues of Lord Ganesha. Admire the craftsmanship and learn about the legends associated with these sculptures.
Day 05: Chintamani Temple
- Anegundi Village: Take a day trip to Anegundi Village, located across the Tungabhadra River. Explore this ancient village and visit sites such as the Anjanadri Hill (birthplace of Lord Hanuman), Pampa Sarovar (sacred pond), and the Chintamani Temple. Immerse yourself in the rural charm and soak in the cultural heritage of the region.
Day 06: Departure
- Departure: Check out from the hotel and proceed to your onward journey with beautiful memories of your Virupaksha Temple tour in Hampi.
Call for Best Deal: +91 9870240354
Call for Best Deal: +91 9870240354
- Pick up and drop from airport/railway/bus station.
- Accommodation on double/twin sharing basis.
- All breakfast included at hotels.
- All transfers and sightseeing by private A/C vehicle.
- Driver’s bata, toll, parking, road tax, fuel charges All applicable taxes.
- Service Tax – 5% GST Extra.
- Any air/bus/rail fare Any other meals not mentioned in package inclusions.
- Any other destination not mentioned in itinerary.
- Any personal expenses such as laundry, room service, mini bar, telephone etc.
- Guide charges/boating charges/entrance fees for any sightseeing
- Any services or activity charges other than those included in inclusions.
- Supplementary cost for festival period, long weekend or peak season .
Q: Where is Virupaksha Temple located?
A: Virupaksha Temple is located in Hampi, Karnataka, India. It is situated on the banks of the Tungabhadra River.
Q: What is included in a typical Virupaksha Temple tour package?
A: The specific inclusions of a Virupaksha Temple tour package can vary depending on the tour operator and the package you choose. However, a typical package may include transportation to and from Hampi, accommodation, sightseeing to Virupaksha Temple and other nearby attractions, the services of a tour guide, and meals.
Q: How long does a Virupaksha Temple tour package usually last?
A: The duration of a Virupaksha Temple tour package can vary depending on the package and your preferences. It can range from a one-day tour to multiple days, allowing you to explore other temples and historical sites in Hampi.
Q: Are there any dress code or entry restrictions for Virupaksha Temple?
A: There is no specific dress code to enter Virupaksha Temple. However, it is advisable to dress modestly and respectfully. As with any religious site, it is important to be respectful of the sacredness of the temple and its rituals.
Q: Are there any photography restrictions inside Virupaksha Temple?
A: Photography is generally allowed inside Virupaksha Temple. However, there may be restrictions on using flash photography or tripods. It is important to be respectful and considerate while taking photographs, especially during ceremonies or in areas where photography is not allowed. It is recommended to follow the guidelines provided by the temple authorities.
Q: Can I visit other attractions in Hampi as part of the tour package?
A: Yes, many tour packages include visits to other attractions in Hampi, such as the Vittala Temple, Lotus Mahal, Elephant Stables, and the Virupaksha Bazaar. These attractions offer a glimpse into the rich history and architectural heritage of the region.
Q: Can I customize a Virupaksha Temple tour package?
A: Some tour operators offer the flexibility to customize Virupaksha Temple tour packages according to your preferences. You may be able to adjust the duration, include additional attractions or activities, or make specific arrangements based on your interests. It is advisable to inquire with the tour operator about customization options.
Q: Can I book a Virupaksha Temple tour package online?
A: Yes, many tour operators provide the option to book Virupaksha Temple tour packages online. You can visit their websites, select the desired package, and follow the booking process. It is recommended to choose reputable tour operators and review their cancellation and refund policies.