Sonmarg, also known as “Meadow of Gold,” is a breathtaking tourist destination located in the Ganderbal district of Jammu and Kashmir, India. Surrounded by snow-capped mountains, mesmerizing glaciers, and lush green meadows, Sonmarg offers a picturesque setting and a perfect escape for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts. Here’s an overview of a tour to Sonmarg:
Scenic Beauty: Sonmarg is renowned for its stunning natural beauty. The region is adorned with lush meadows, gushing rivers, and pristine lakes. The picturesque landscapes, snow-capped peaks, and alpine forests create a postcard-perfect scenery that leaves visitors in awe.
Thajiwas Glacier: One of the major attractions in Sonmarg is the Thajiwas Glacier. Situated at an altitude of around 9,186 feet, the glacier is accessible by a short trek or by hiring a pony. Visitors can enjoy the panoramic views of the glacier, snow-capped mountains, and the surrounding valleys.
Adventure Sports: Sonmarg offers various adventure sports activities that cater to thrill-seekers. Popular activities include trekking, camping, river rafting, and fishing. The region is a gateway to some of the famous treks in the Himalayas, such as the Baltal-Amarnath Trek and the Krishnasar Lake Trek.
Gadsar Lake: Located amidst picturesque surroundings, Gadsar Lake is a serene and pristine high-altitude lake. Surrounded by stunning mountain peaks and alpine flowers, the lake is a popular spot for picnics and nature walks.
Fishing and Angling: Sonmarg is known for its excellent fishing and angling opportunities. The Sindh River, which flows through the region, is home to various trout and mahseer fish species. Fishing enthusiasts can indulge in angling and enjoy the serene surroundings while trying their luck in catching fish.
Sightseeing: Sonmarg offers several captivating sightseeing spots. Some notable places include Nilagrad River, Zojila Pass, Vishansar Lake, and Krishnasar Lake. These attractions provide opportunities for photography, nature exploration, and soaking in the scenic beauty of the region.
Local Cuisine: A visit to Sonmarg is incomplete without trying the traditional Kashmiri cuisine. Indulge in mouthwatering dishes like Rogan Josh (lamb curry), Kashmiri Pulao, Dum Aloo, and the famous Kahwa (Kashmiri tea). Don’t miss the opportunity to savor the authentic flavors of the region.
Weather: Sonmarg experiences cool weather throughout the year. Summers (April to June) are pleasant with temperatures ranging from 10°C to 25°C, making it an ideal time to visit. Winters (November to March) are extremely cold with heavy snowfall, making it a paradise for snow lovers.
Accommodation: Sonmarg offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, resorts, guesthouses, and campsites. Visitors can choose from luxury accommodations to budget-friendly options, ensuring a comfortable stay during their visit.
To reach Sonmarg, one can travel by road from Srinagar, which is approximately 80 kilometers away. The nearest airport is Srinagar International Airport, and the closest railway station is Srinagar Railway Station.
A tour to Sonmarg promises a mesmerizing experience, with its breathtaking landscapes, thrilling adventures, and serene surroundings. It is an ideal destination for nature enthusiasts, adventure seekers, and those looking to escape into the lap of nature.
Sonmarg Tour Package
|Sonmarg Tour Package
|04 Nights / 05 Days
|Srinagar – Sonmarg- Zojila Pass- Baltal.
|12,500/- Per Person+5%GST(Min- 6 Person)
Day 01: Arrival in Srinagar
- On the first day, you will arrive at the Srinagar airport or railway station, where you will be picked up by a representative from the tour operator and transferred to your hotel in Sonmarg.
- You can spend the rest of the day at leisure, exploring the nearby areas or relaxing in your hotel.
Day 02: Sonmarg Local Sightseeing
- After breakfast, you will embark on a local sightseeing tour of Sonmarg, visiting places like the Thajiwas Glacier, Vishansar Lake, and Krishnasar Lake.
- You can also indulge in activities like horse riding and trekking in the beautiful meadows.
Day 03: Day Trip to Zojila Pass and Drass
- After breakfast, you will go on a day trip to the Zojila Pass and Drass, located about 60 km from Sonmarg.
- You can witness the beautiful landscape and visit the Kargil War Memorial and Museum, which is a tribute to the brave soldiers who lost their lives in the Kargil War.
Day 04: Day Trip to Baltal
- After breakfast, you will go on a day trip to Baltal, located about 15 km from Sonmarg.
- You can visit the Amarnath Cave, which is a significant Hindu pilgrimage site and has a naturally formed ice shivlingam.
Day 05: Departure from Sonmarg
- On the last day, after breakfast, you will check out from your hotel and be transferred to the Srinagar airport or railway station for your departure.
Call for Best Deal: +91 9870240354
Call for Best Deal: +91 9870240354
- Pick up and drop from airport/railway/bus station.
- Accommodation on double/twin sharing basis.
- All breakfast included at hotels.
- All transfers and sightseeing by private A/C vehicle.
- Driver’s bata, toll, parking, road tax, fuel charges All applicable taxes.
- Service Tax – 5% GST Extra.
- Any air/bus/rail fare Any other meals not mentioned in package inclusions.
- Any other destination not mentioned in itinerary.
- Any personal expenses such as laundry, room service, mini bar, telephone etc.
- Guide charges/boating charges/entrance fees for any sightseeing
- Any services or activity charges other than those included in inclusions.
- Supplementary cost for festival period, long weekend or peak season .
Q1: What are the main attractions to visit in Sonmarg?
Sonmarg offers several attractions, including Thajiwas Glacier, Zojila Pass, Vishansar Lake, Krishnasar Lake, and Nilagrad River. These natural wonders, snow-capped mountains, and serene lakes make it a paradise for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts.
Q2: How do I reach Sonmarg?
To reach Sonmarg, you can take a flight to Srinagar International Airport, which is the nearest airport. From there, you can hire a taxi or take a shared cab to Sonmarg, which is approximately a 3-hour drive. Additionally, you can also reach Sonmarg by road from Srinagar or other major cities in Kashmir.
Q3: What is the best time to visit Sonmarg?
The best time to visit Sonmarg is during the summer months, from April to June, when the weather is pleasant and the meadows are in full bloom. This is also the time when most of the outdoor activities, such as trekking and camping, are available. However, Sonmarg’s snowy landscapes in winter are equally captivating, making it a popular destination for winter sports.
Q4: Are there any accommodation options available in Sonmarg?
Sonmarg offers a range of accommodation options, including hotels, resorts, guesthouses, and budget-friendly lodges. You can choose according to your preferences and budget. It’s recommended to book your accommodation in advance, especially during the peak tourist season, to secure your desired place to stay.
Q5: Can I visit Thajiwas Glacier during my Sonmarg tour?
Yes, you can visit Thajiwas Glacier during your Sonmarg tour. Thajiwas Glacier is one of the main attractions in Sonmarg and offers stunning views of the surrounding snow-clad peaks. You can reach the glacier by hiring a pony or by trekking. It’s advisable to wear warm clothing and carry proper gear, especially during the winter months.
Q6: Are there any adventure activities available in Sonmarg?
Yes, Sonmarg offers several adventure activities for thrill-seekers. You can indulge in activities like trekking, camping, river rafting, and fishing. The picturesque landscapes, gushing rivers, and snow-covered mountains provide a perfect setting for these activities, allowing you to experience the thrill of the outdoors.
Q7: Can I visit Sonmarg with my family?
Absolutely! Sonmarg is a family-friendly destination, offering breathtaking natural beauty and a peaceful environment. You can explore the scenic landscapes, enjoy picnics by the riverside, and take leisurely walks amidst nature. Sonmarg provides a serene and refreshing atmosphere for a memorable family vacation.
Q8: What should I pack for my Sonmarg tour?
When packing for your Sonmarg tour, it’s essential to pack warm clothing, especially if you are visiting during the winter months. Carry jackets, sweaters, thermal wear, gloves, and a hat to protect yourself from the cold. Additionally, pack comfortable shoes, sunscreen, sunglasses, and a raincoat or umbrella, as the weather can be unpredictable.
Q9: Are there any photography opportunities in Sonmarg?
Sonmarg offers incredible photography opportunities. The picturesque landscapes, snow-covered mountains, gushing rivers, and vibrant flora provide a stunning backdrop for capturing memorable moments. Whether you’re a professional photographer or a casual enthusiast, you’ll find plenty of subjects to capture in Sonmarg.
Q10: Can I hire a local guide in Sonmarg?
Yes, hiring a local guide in Sonmarg is a good idea, especially if you want to explore the area’s hidden gems, learn about the local culture and traditions, and make the most of your visit. A guide can provide valuable insights, suggest offbeat attractions, and ensure a smooth and enriching experience during your tour.